Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Colorful giant granny square throw blanket

My mother asked me to create a soft warm blanket that she could get snuggled up in while sitting in her favorite chair reading. At the same time she did not want it to be any larger then necessary. Thus a large square was perfect.


I set out to find just the right yarn. My mother has a lot of earth tones punctuated with pops of jewel tones in her southwest decor. I really like the yarn lines by  Deborah Norville. Keeping my mother's decor in mind I used two skein colors for this blanket - black and Carnivale. Carnivale has teal, rust, gold, and plum. This yarn is nice and firm while remaining soft to the touch. I have also found that it washes well and is nice and warm. None of that funky crinkle & crackle or pilling - if you know what I mean!

I worked this a little at a time in the evening for a couple of weeks. I had a lot of lifes happy interruptions :) or it would have been quicker. There is no real pattern. I just began with a very simple granny square and worked out until I had a very large square. I alternated between the two colors creating the varying size band of each color.

I really like how it turned out and so does my Mom. It looks great in her space too. I think I'll make another in some other shades for my own space.

Happy creating my loves!








No comments:

Post a Comment